And the nominees for New Zealand’s best musicians are…

The nominees list for the NZ Music Awards features a lot of Lorde, but this isn't a one artist race.

The nominees list for the NZ Music Awards features a lot of Lorde, but this isn’t a one artist race.

Well and truly into award season, the nominees for the New Zealand Music Awards are out.

Packed with some names any one could have guessed, the lineup also features newbies to the music scene who are nipping at the feet of New Zealand’s musical juggernauts.

To the surprise of no one, Lorde features heavily – picking up nominations for Album of the Year, Best Pop Artist, Single of the Year, Best Solo Artist and People’s Choice Award.

But Lorde’s presence in the pack certainly doesn’t mean this year’s awards, set down for November 16, are a one artist race. Onehunga based hip-hop group SWIDT have collected just as many nominations as Lorde in the list released on Thursday, and alternative artists Aldous Harding and Fazerdaze​ aren’t far behind either.

READ MORE:
* Full music coverage
* In her own words: Lorde’s difficult second album
Green Light for Lorde at Silver Scrolls in Dunedin

Announcing the nominees, Recorded Music NZ also revealed the lineup of live performances planned for the night. Lorde would be making an appearance, as she toured New Zealand in November, as well as SWIDT and pop princess Theia.

Lorde will perform at the New Zealand Music Awards in November.

SUPPLIED

Lorde will perform at the New Zealand Music Awards in November.

SWIDT released their first album, Stoneyhunga​, in July. The album could pick up top honours with Album of the Year and its producer has been nominated for best in the business. SWIDT is also up for Best Group, best Hip Hop Group, People’s Choice and their single Player Of The Day could win Best Single.

If they win, SWIDT will be the first hip-hop group awarded Best Group at the New Zealand Music Awards. With the release of David Dallas’ fifth album, Hood Country Club in April, there is a strong showing of hip-hop in this year’s awards. Dallas has been nominated for Album of the Year and Best Hip-Hop Artist, his single Fit In is up for Best Single.

Victory for anyone other than Lorde in the Single and Album of the Year categories is hard to imagine.

LAWRENCE SMITH/STUFF

David Dallas’ latest album takes a look closer to home.

Her sophomore album, Melodrama, has been lauded locally and offshore with Lorde receiving top honours at the Silver Scrolls in Dunedin last week.

Ad Feedback

 The major award winners are decided by a mix of votes and commercial success. The “Voting Academy”, a group of 200 that includes the music press, promoters, previous winners and other music industry folk, hold 70 per cent of the vote but sales figures decide the other 30 per cent.

Melodrama has been in the charts since its June release.

Tickets for the show, to be held at Auckland’s Spark Arena, would be on sale for $25 via Ticketmaster from Friday.

THE NOMINEES:

Album of the Year:
Aldous Harding, Party.
David Dallas, Hood Country Club.
Fazerdaze, Morningside.
LEISURE, LEISURE.
Lorde, Melodrama.
SWIDT, Stoneyhunga.

Single of the Year:
David Dallas, Fit In.
Ladi6, Royal Blue.
Lorde, Green Light.
MAALA, In My Head.
SWIDT, Player Of The Day.
Theia, Roam.

Best Group:
Devilskin.
LEISURE.
Shapeshifter.
SWIDT.

Best Solo Artist:
Aldous Harding.
KINGS.
Lorde.
Nadia Reid.

Breakthrough Artist of the Year:
Aldous Harding.
Fazerdaze.
Nadia Reid.
TEEKS.

Best Rock Artist:
Clap Clap Riot.
Devilskin.
Graham Brazier.

Best Pop Artist:
Lorde.
Mitch James.
Theia.

Best Alternative Artist:
Aldous Harding.
Fazerdaze.
Nadia Reid.

Best Soul/RnB Artist:
Ladi6.
TEEKS.
Tommy Nee.

Best Hip-Hop Artist:
David Dallas.
KINGS.
SWIDT.

Best Roots Artist:
Israel Starr.
Sons of Zion.
Tomorrow People.

Best Electronic Artist:
Chaos In The CBD.
K+Lab.
Truth.

Best Māori Artist:
Alien Weaponry.
Maisey Rika.
TEEKS.

Best Worship Artist:
Curate Music.
Josh & Amberley Klinkenberg.
Juliagrace.

Best Classical Artist:
Jenny McLeod.
NZTrio.
Te Kōkī Trio.

People’s Choice: 
KINGS.
Maala.
Theia.
Lorde.
SWIDT.

​ARTISAN AWARD CATEGORIES:

Best Music Video:
Dan Watkins, Shapeshifter, Her.
Joel Kefali, LEISURE, Got It Bad.
Sam Kristofski, Fazerdaze, Lucky Girl.

Best Album Cover:
Stars, by Dean Poole and Tyrone Ohia (Shapeshifter).
Otherness, by Henrietta Harri (Grayson Gilmour).
String Theory, by Jamie Robertson (Fly My Pretties).

Best producer:
Ben Edwards – Preservation (Nadia Reid).
LEISURE.
SmokeyGotBeatz – Stoneyhunga (SWIDT).

Best Engineer:
Ben Edwards – Preservation (Nadia Reid).
Chris Chetland – A Place to Stand (REI).
Clint Murphy – Be Like The River (Devilskin).

 – Stuff

New Zealand News

Facebook Comments